Home Zoeken  Registreren
Het is momenteel Wo 22 Feb 2017 0:27

Alle tijden zijn UTC [ Zomertijd ]

Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten. Je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe reacties plaatsen.  [ 16 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2  Volgende
Auteur Bericht
 Titel: Building-project Saphir-Racer ESP 1
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 06 Nov 2006 22:31 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Well, I found time fom the sunny warm (warmer than Kaap Horn) 22º C lake to start the Saphir version 2.
Thanks to this site, I first installed a keel box (just visible) to make the hull stiffer before cutting away the deck material. Hopefully, this will also make it easier to transport when finished.
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Now I have to be courageous enough to start using the Dremel (or rather cheap Chinese copy). At least, it should simplify fitting the rudder :oops:

Profiel  

Titel: Saphir-Racer answers
BerichtGeplaatst: Di 07 Nov 2006 22:25 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Thijs asked:

Citaat:
@Martin: Most skippers over here are still longing for Autumn...wintersleep (hibernation) will not yet happen.
In Spain where you are living wintersleep maybe doesn't exist at all...but on your "yard" construction has allready started-up

Did you buy the ABS-hull only? I think you obtained the whole kit, as you do need a new keel/bulb essembly as well.
I also see tape at the connection from cockpit-sides/coachroof, so you might delete the cockpit-coamings as well, and leave the original deckhouse.

I bought the "full" kit but the ballast bulb was missing and is due to arrive from Germany via Santander tomorrow. The tape, as you guessed, marks the forecast cutting area and, when I have a moment, I will make the card templates for the new aft layout, which will probably be made of depron reinforced with glass fibre/epoxy.
The main mast boom could probably be made a bit more up-to-date looking than the carbon tube that comes with the kit. I would also like to do something with the mast for the same reasons but the IOM aluminium masts for the C rig seem the only possible substitute.
I don't think I could or would want to incorporate the under deck details. This work is complicated enough as it is. Anyway, by the time I have finished, I think I will have earned the right to the "ESP 1" sail number.
The good weather continues to interfere and has even confused the local apple trees, which are blossoming now instead of next spring.

Profiel  

Titel: ESP 1
BerichtGeplaatst: Vr 17 Nov 2006 1:01 
Gebruikers-avatar

Martin wrote:
Citaat:
The main mast boom could probably be made a bit more up-to-date looking than the carbon tube that comes with the kit. I would also like to do something with the mast for the same reasons but the IOM aluminium masts for the C rig seem the only possible substitute.

@Martin: Especially the light carbon-rig from the SAPHIR makes the boat such a good performer amongst the others.
Going back in time 10-15 years in order to install an Aluminium-mast instead wil give your SAPHIR a catastrophic loss in stability :roll: thus boatspeed and handling....I would not like to recommend that to anybody.

You could produce your own carbon-groove mast yourself by using two separate carbon-pipes:
-1 piece 8mm. diameter with a 4mm. slot (by DREMEL)
-1 piece 4mm. diameter with the "groove" for the sail (by DREMEL)
(GRAUPNER has nowadays 0.5mm. wallthickness in stock what will give even more 50% weight-reduction...and THAT is 80cm. above waterline).

The 4mm. part to be inserted in the 8mm. part and use filler for a smooth surface between 8-4mm.(I will make a sketch later for you)

Paint it aluminium...and there you are. :wink:

Thijs Oosterheert

Saphir Nederland
(http://www.saphir.modelzeilen.nl)

Afbeelding.Volg de Saphirzeiler

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Vr 17 Nov 2006 5:07 
Stamgast
Stamgast

My first attempt at making a different mainsail boom produced a boom that was too flexible. It was basically a balsa core covered in glass fibre/epoxy. As I had little epoxy resin left, I've ordered some more, together with some carbon fibre "sleeve", to see if that makes it stronger.
If it works, I may think about trying something similar for the mast but I would probably have to think of making a removable mandrel first.
I have been too busy with work to make much progress, although the rear deck area has been cut and partially rebuilt with balsa. I'll try to find time to post some photos either as it is or when I have reinforced it with glass fibre.
By the way, I found an Italian water-based spray paint that dries to a hard weather-proof shine. It's sold under the brand name "Talken" and I wonder whether anyone has any experience of it. One of its advantages is that it's odourless and helps preserve domestic harmony :oops:

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Zo 19 Nov 2006 22:53 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Well, Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest, and I managed to find a little time for ESP1.
The rear deck has yet to be glass-fibre reinforced but at least I managed to align the top and bottom of the rudder shaft. Btw, I forgot to include a reinforcement for the mast step when I made the keel box. It's easier to do this first and not try to add it later.
Afbeelding
Today, I thought I'd do some sanding, but I couldn't remember where I'd put the sanding disk, so it'll have to wait till tomorrow :oops:
Instead, I started on the mast. Due to the finished boat having to fit a one metre long box, the mast stays in two sections. The 2 longest shrouds have to be easily removed and I made the same change as on my first Saphir. The swivel links are bound with Dacron and then some cyanoacrylate glue is applied. this makes attaching and releasing the shrouds and jib sail much easier, for me anyway.
Afbeelding
This time, I also decided to fare in the keel/ballast joint and to prove that the missing ballast had arrived from Germany.
Afbeelding
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 20 Nov 2006 10:14 
Belachelijk veel berichten

Mmm, a one meter long box...

Are you perhaps planning on traveling with this boat?

In case of airfreight, make sure there are no airtight compartments in the boat, or in the traveling box for that matter, which might suffer from decompression.

Regards, Jan.

Boatsjefarders, noflik folk.

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 20 Nov 2006 13:42 
Stamgast
Stamgast

For the moment, the boot of the taxi is the limiting factor as well as my ability to carry the box. Also my building skills are extremely stretched to make just the hull watertight, so there probably wouldn't be any problems even on an aeroplane. What do you think security checkers would think the ballast bulb was?
The box would, anyway, have to be strong enough to resist the attentions of the cargo handlers. :roll:

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 20 Nov 2006 14:53 

Martin schreef:
The box would, anyway, have to be strong enough to resist the attentions of the cargo handlers. :roll:

That's where the so-called 'flightcase' profiles come in; aliminum profiles that hold the panels and fittings for corners and secure locking.

Mind you, not cheap, but virtually idiot proof (handling wise).

Also, the keel and bulb should be mounted inside the box in a bomb proof way, to prevent it from smashing up your boat if it should get loose during the TLC from the cargo handlers.

Regards, Jan.

Boatsjefarders, noflik folk.

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Do 23 Nov 2006 12:46 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Not a lot of progress, I'm afraid, although the rear deck is now glass-fibred and the resin yet to cure.

Afbeelding

Then there'll be yet more sanding, more painting, more sanding etc., etc.
Jan, thanks for the tip about packing the lead ballast. Who knows? It might come in useful one day :wink:

Profiel  

Titel: Hatch?
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 27 Nov 2006 19:16 
Gebruikers-avatar

Do I see a hatch in your cockpit-floor?

Interesting that you use balsa though...could you paint the underside?

Nice benches by the way...
Every Saphir its own design :wink:

Thijs

Saphir Nederland

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 27 Nov 2006 19:59 
Stamgast
Stamgast

It's 1.5 mm balsa, and sealed on both sides and with 1 or 2 layers of 50 g glass cloth on the outside. I felt the hatch was needed for ensuring some access to the sheets, especially the rearmost pulley block. The benches are just polystyrene foam cut to shape and the whole cockpit area is glass-fibred.
Not much is happening at the moment, though I'm trying to decide on the best way to make the hatch water tight without raising it too much from the deck. It will probably be just another sheet of glassed balsa with a thread of silicone and screwed down. It shouldn't need to be quicky removable.

Profiel  

Titel: Hatch...
BerichtGeplaatst: Wo 29 Nov 2006 17:15 
Gebruikers-avatar

Not an easy task... :roll:
In the IOM-world they do use tape instead...

Th.

Saphir Nederland

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 11 Dec 2006 13:45 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Work had been getting in the way of progress but combined with some Beaufort 9+ winds (end of florist sails :( ) I had some time to do a little:
Afbeelding
There's still a lot to be done but I wanted an idea of how it would look when finished. The problem with posting photo's is that everyone sees that my standards of finishing are only a little better than my standards of sailing. I think I need to persuade my wife to become interested in painting. :oops: .
Afbeelding

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 11 Dec 2006 13:58 

@Martin,

Congratulations with your Saphir Racer.
It is nice to see, how all over the world, comes more and more Saphir Racers.
Mij son Eric is very proud of his NED 94, the prototyp.

CU

Profiel  

Titel:
BerichtGeplaatst: Ma 11 Dec 2006 15:54 
Stamgast
Stamgast

Thankyou Arjan, I'm afraid this won't be the prettiest Saphir racer, as using and even holding paint brushes and modelling tools isn't so easy as it used to be, though the Saphir has provided me with much more motivation for physiotherapy than the silly toys at the hospital :lol:

Profiel  

Berichten weergeven van de afgelopen:  Sorteer op  
Forum gesloten Dit onderwerp is gesloten. Je kunt geen berichten wijzigen of nieuwe reacties plaatsen.  [ 16 berichten ]  Ga naar pagina 1, 2  Volgende

Alle tijden zijn UTC [ Zomertijd ]